Friday, March 8, 2013

The Themes.

Thanks to this blog, I have looked back over my past work. I was told by a professor that if you look at your past work, you will find themes that you love, and that you use over and over again, even when you don't realize it. My work has changed so much since Undergrad that I couldn't see the themes... Until now. I have come to realize that I love creating characters, I love the modified figure, I love clay, I love colors, I love fantasy, and I love kitsch!

Though it may not seem like it, I am all of the characters I create, even when I was not the model. They all address a different aspect of my personality, my experiences, my feelings. I am going to bring my ceramic work back to that.  I am going to make in depth, introspective, and serious works that disguise themselves behind humor, kitsch, and color.  I think humor and color are some of the best tools to draw in an audience.Someone can look and laugh at the images, but when they look closer they can see the seriousness of the issues behind the work.

I have better artistic skills now, and I know more about who I am. I hope this will positively influence the work. I have a habit of over thinking things. But I really just want to have fun, and makes piece that not only show my feelings, but connect with others.  I have some ideas in the works. One involves a vessel piece that comments on being bi-racial by using the textures of bi-racial hair. Another involves literal creations of derogatory terms for bi-racial people: Such as Oreo, white washed, mutt, etc. I am still working it all out. That is all you get for now about my new work.

Here are some examples of my past figurative work and what they meant to me. I hope you enjoy.

 Undergrad and Post baccalaureate: I was interested in changing people into animals and character. I looked at my friends and thought about what best fit their features and personalities. It captured a part of my life and the people who influenced it... my friends.  They went into issues of war, piece, beauty, love, broken hearts, stress, sadness, and overwhelming joy. They are basically a journal of my life at the time. I will try to give very short and simple explanations, but so much more goes into them.
Grapes 2007- Party and abundance


Crying 2009- Another Broken heart


Gas Mask 2007- There are those who can find beauty, even in war.


Imp 2008- The spirit of curiosity



Maria 2010- The ties I feel to religion, though I feel trapped by them

The Cage 2009-  Trapped


The General: Using newspaper article about the Iraq war, I made a parody of the Stereotypical MacArthur General. I was the model.


As always, my professors were right. The molds I used became a piece in themselves.

Artifact 2008 The creation of an artifact out of my own body.


Zipper II 2008, Breaking away form the stress of the future


Neck 2009- Another piece about the fear of the unknown

War I Bazooka (2006)- Another piece about the tragedy of war and the innocence lost.

Flower Woman 2007- The model was my Friend Emily G. She was a mother like figure to me. She took care of me, and nothing but life sprung from her.


Scream 2007- STRESS

Minotaur 2007-  Trying and failing to tame the strong willed. Marcus S. Was the model. A very kind and strong willed man,


Broken Heart- 2008- I'll give yo one guess.


Med School Versus Art School 2008

Leah- 2008- My confident, Strong, and kind friend Leah was the model. She was a Valkyrie. Strong but beautiful and comforting.


Busted Robot 2007- My friend Nathan was the model. About the growth of technology and how fast it goes out of date.


Lava Lamp Ice cream- My Amazing friend Uma was the model. Something playful and light to show how happy and amazing she was.



Shards 2010- About life and its uncertainty, my feelings of insecurity.


1 comment:

  1. These are amazing Manu! I can see them in a gallery focusing on your work already!! SO glad you are sharing these with the world. (Or part of it anyways.)

    ReplyDelete