Thursday, June 6, 2013

You can touch my hair.


****UPDATE**** 7/8/13
The internet site JEZEBEL Just printed this article today, by a female mixed race writer Ijeoma Oluo. She share her thoughts on "You can touch my hair" as well as her own experiences growing up with mixed hair. I thought it was an interesting perspective. What do you all think?? http://jezebel.com/why-you-can-touch-my-hair-659425726
 Normally I wouldn't touch internet comments with a 39 and a half foot pole, but I think it is important to read the comments on this article to get other viewpoints. Unlike many comments sections, there are some varied and unique experiences and perspectives. 

-------------------------------------------------------------
http://jezebel.com/exhibit-asks-people-to-explore-tactile-fascination-wit-511761850

Here is a link from the website JEZEBEL to an interesting event ... I have had people just come up to me an touch my hair.  Some ask, but mot don't. Usually, if I am not surprised and accidentally scream at the person, I say " Oh, its OK, you can touch it." But I don't know about setting up an event for touching hair.  But maybe that is because I've had my hair, bi racial, curly, frizzy, amazing hair, for my whole life. I don't understand why people want to touch it. I mean people seem to like the frizz, and how sometimes it can go crazy and stand up by its self.  ( I can make myself a unicorn with no hair gel!) But I have to say, I do have friends, of many races, whose hair I would love to touch and play with. So maybe this event, gets people to ask questions they were afraid to ask. Or maybe it is just an awesome way to bring people together. Maybe it is all about being fascinated by what is different from ourselves... I don't know.  What do you all think? But if anyone is curious, they seem to be having another event soon. If anyone goes, please tell me all about it!

2 comments: